Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Where I'm From


I grew up in Norton, VA.
A town that was established in 1894 and in 1954 became a city.
With a population of 3,904 we are in fact the smallest city in Virginia by population.
We're a coal mining area.
In fact my father is a coal miner and he has been for as long as I can remember.



I'm going to be honest with you...
When I was 18 I could not wait to leave.
When I finally left, was I sad?
Absolutely!
But only because I missed my family.

For years I felt very negatively about my hometown.
The older I get the more I'm starting to appreciate where I came from.
I view the simplicity in a beautiful way instead of the mind-numbing way I once saw it as a teenager.
People are for the most part very friendly.
Southern food...well there's nothing like it.
And the mountains, they're breathtaking.



I'm going home this weekend with my sister and our beloved canines.
To say that I'm excited would be a severe understatement.
I can't wait to have my mother's homemade bread, I can't wait to watch my younger brother play baseball, I can't wait to walk through my mom's garden, I can't wait to go to the Farmer's Market in Tennessee, and most importantly, I can't wait to be with my family!
There is no greater feeling!

3 comments:

  1. wow! your hometown is so beautiful! i can't imagine growing up in such a teeny town. it's really cool that you're able to appreciate the experience as you get older. i hope you have a great time with your family this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad we are going to miss you all by mere hours! Next time!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete