Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Nostalgia

Merriam-Webster defines Nostalgia as:
1. The state of being homesick
2. a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition.

Sunday evening as I strung green beans for the green bean salad I made my Mr. P,
I felt nostalgic.
It reminded me of when I was younger and I would sit outside and help my mother string beans.
I remember thinking it would be so much fun but half way through the bag my mother purchased (from none other than Wheatley's Mareket) I was bored and ready to be done.

Yesterday,
when I walked out of work,
I know for a fact I smelled a corn dog.
On the bus ride home I could think of nothing other than the trips my sister and I used to take to Dollywood with our paternal grandparents when we were younger.
We loved that place.
I think we must have gone a dozen times but never tired of it.
They had THE best corn dogs and funnel cakes.
In fact I'm certain that I will never have another funnel cake or corn dog unless it's at Dollywood.

There are certain memories I feel like I'm barely holding onto and then there are those you know you'll never forget...
all it takes to conjure them up is a smell, a sound or a taste.

Now I'm hungry for corn on the cob.
Why?
Because it takes me back to when I was a little girl sitting outside eating the best dang corn on the cob straight from Gran and Joe's garden.

Corn will never taste as good as it did then.
But that doesn't stop me from trying to perfect it all summer long.



What makes you nostalgic?

5 comments:

  1. Certain songs make me nostalgic. When I hear them I am immediately taken to a certain place or event.

    There are certain smells that I love too. I love the smell of a newborn's head. It takes me back to when Reece and Ava were born-not that long ago but so much has happened since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way with certain songs. :)
    I keep many of them on my Ipod now because they make me happy when I hear them.

    Oh and I have to agree, LOVE the smell of a newborn's head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... last time i hit the carwash I asked for the Newborn Head's scent but they were out. Next time. ; )

    Oh, and I am a SUCKER for roasting chestnuts. Always reminds me of walking around New York City with the fam on a chilly Thanksgiving weekend. Don't even eat 'em, myself. Just love the smell. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post reminds me of my favorite quote by Oliver Wendell Homes, Sr. "Where We love is Home, Home that Our Feet May Leave, but Not Our Hearts."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that mama san! :) So very pretty and true!

    ReplyDelete