Monday, August 3, 2009

a classic


I gave in to temptation today.

My shiny Kitchen Aid Mixer (I can't believe I actually own one) has been sitting on my counter for about two weeks now.
I've been dying to make something.
I've spent hours online searching for the perfect recipe to christen my new favorite kitchen appliance.

Finally today, inspired by the cupcake I devoured yesterday, I decided to keep it simple.
I baked a two layer vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream.

It didn't turn out quite perfect, but I promise it tastes very yummy!

Here's a few photos I took...



*sorry for the crappy photo! Glass on a sunny, sunny day is just not fun to photograph!





Also I thought it might be nice of me to share a few tips I've picked up after watching Food Network for about 6 hours a day.

1. Really make sure to butter and flour the whole pan.
About a month ago I spent all afternoon trying to bake a cake only to not be able to get them out of the pans. FRUSTRATING!

2. When cooling your cakes it's imperative to let them cool on wire racks.
This way air is distributed evenly.


4. Use a serrated knife to cut off the tops of your cakes. This way they are nice and even and easier to frost.


5. Want to make sure your cake is really moist?
Poke a few holes in it, I use a straw...


Boil 2 cups of water with 1 cup of sugar for 3 minutes, let cool, and pour in a nifty little spray bottle.

YES I did think it was okay to place my plastic spray bottle in the dishwasher that uses scalding hot water.
Now my bottle looks like this:


6. Do you hate icing cakes?
Well then I'm almost certain you haven't been introduced to the offset spatula.
I purchased my first one months ago and my baking life hasn't been the same since.

Okay, that's all I've got for ya'.
Hopefully you've learned something and I didn't just waste your time. :P

1 comment:

  1. i need to make a cake now after reading this!!!! i love yellow cake with chocolate frosting. it's so classic. and i'm so jealous of your kitchenaid mixer!!! but you needed one. :)

    ReplyDelete